All seven of GCC’s physical campus locations are closed. Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details.
Online Course Technical Requirements
Use the following as a guideline for your Online Course Minimum Technical Requirements. Be aware that individual courses can have specific software and/or different hardware requirements to be able to complete that course.
Hardware and operating system requirements:
- PC: Windows 10
- Mac: OS X with most recent version
- 512MB RAM (memory) minimum
- 500MB of Free Disk Space
- Display set to 1024 x 768 or higher resolution preferred
- High Speed Internet connection
- Note: Desktop computers and/or laptop computers are recommended for online courses; students using mobile devices may encounter issues.
More than one browser is highly recommended. If one isn’t working, switch to another one.
- For PC: Chrome, Firefox, and/or MicroSoft Edge (install at least two browsers)
- For Mac: Chrome, Firefox, or Safari 6
- Check each browser you are using with Blackboard Learn help Browser Checker
Required Browser Settings and Plug-ins:
- Allow pop-up windows from all genesee.edu sites
- Allow cookies from all genesee.edu sites
- Word processor compatible with Microsoft Word
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Note: Refer to the specific course technical requirements as the following or other software may be required to be installed for course completion.
- Java Runtime Environment
- Windows Media Player
- Quicktime Player
- Flash Player
- Note: Suggested secure site for downloading software is ninite.com
Minimum computer skills you must be comfortable with:
- Word processing skills: create, open, save, print, and edit documents.
- Copy from a flash drive or the Internet to a specific directory on a hard drive.
- Ability to download and install from the Internet.
- Ability to upload documents.
- Knowledge in navigating the Internet.
- Proficient in use of search engines for research.
- Ability to send and receive e-mails with attachments.
- Note: If you need to upgrade your computer skills please consider taking one of the excellent introductory computer courses offered at GCC, such as CIS102 Introduction to Computers.
- If you have a physical, psychological, medical, or learning disability that may impact your coursework or participation in an online course, please contact Access and Accommodation Services, Room C231 Batavia, 585-343-0055, ext. 6351. The Assessment team will determine with you what accommodations are necessary, appropriate and reasonable. All information and documentation is confidential.