Online Course Technical Requirements
Use the following as a guideline for your Online Course minimum technical requirements. Be aware that individual courses can have specific software and/or different hardware requirements to be able to complete that course.
Hardware and operating system requirements:
- PC: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
- Mac: OS X with most recent version
- 512MB RAM (memory) minimum
- 500MB of Free Disk Space
- Display set to 1024 x 768 or higher resolution preferred
- High Speed Internet connection
- Note: Chromebooks and tablets are not recommended.
More than one browser is highly recommended. If one isn’t working, switch to another one.
- For PC: Chrome, Firefox 31 or higher, IE 9 or higher.
- For Mac: Chrome, Firefox, Safari 6 or higher.
- See also Blackboard Learn Browser Support page caveats for Chrome and other browsers.
- Check each browser you are using with Blackboard Learn help Browser Checker
Required Browser Settings and Plug-ins:
- Allow pop-up windows from all genesee.edu sites
- Allow cookies from all genesee.edu sites
- See also Blackboard Learn Browser Support page Java and Other Browser Plugin information.
- Word processor compatible with Microsoft Word 2007 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Note: Refer to the specific course technical requirements as the following or other software may be required to be installed for course completion.
- Java Runtime Environment
- Windows Media Player
- Quicktime Player
- Flash Player
- Note: Suggested secure site for downloading software is ninite.com
Minimum computer skills you must be comfortable with:
- Word processing skills: create, open, save, print, and edit documents.
- Copy from a flash drive or the Internet to a specific directory on a hard drive.
- Ability to download and install from the Internet.
- Ability to upload documents.
- Knowledge in navigating the Internet.
- Proficient in use of search engines for research.
- Ability to send and receive e-mails with attachments.
- Note: If you need to upgrade your computer skills please consider taking one of the excellent introductory computer courses offered at GCC, such as CIS102 Introduction to Computers.
- If you have a physical, psychological, medical, or learning disability that may impact your coursework or participation in an online course, please contact the Disabilities Coordinator, D 208, 343-0055,extension 6351. The Assessment team will determine with you what accommodations are necessary, appropriate and reasonable. All information and documentation is confidential.