Apply for Aid

Applying for financial aid is as easy as 1, 2, 3!

1. Get Your FSA ID

To start the aid process, the student and parent (if the student is still a dependent) can apply for an FSA ID to complete the FAFSA online. This can either be done at least 3 days before the FAFSA is filed, or upon completion of the FAFSA.

Your FSA ID will act as your signature on the FAFSA. Store your FSA ID information in a safe, secure place as you will use it to sign all your Federal Student Aid (electronic) documents. Do not share your FSA ID with anyone!

2. File Your FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be completed online at Complete the FAFSA Form page of the Federal Student Aid website. The FAFSA is done in 7 sections:

  • Student Demographics 
  • School Selection (GCC's Federal Code is 006782
  • Dependency Status
  • Parent Demographics (for dependent students)
  • Financial Information
  • If you have already filed your taxes, try using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT)! It will transfer your tax information right on to your FAFSA. It's quick, easy and available for most parents and students! View a Tutorial on how to use the IRS DRT.
  • Sign & Submit (this is where you'll use the PIN)
  • Confirmation

Note: You will need your Tax Returns and W-2's (dependent students will also need their parent(s)' Tax Returns and W-2's) in order to complete the Financial Information section of the FAFSA!

Watch this helpful video on filing the FAFSA!

3. Apply for TAP

Complete the TAP application (GCC's TAP Code is 2252). The TAP application can be completed immediately following the FAFSA. Students are encouraged to select that link to apply for TAP.

Apply For Tap screenshot

You can also log on to the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website and apply for TAP there.


Important Financial Aid Information

  • When will I receive my financial aid?
    The Department of Education will pay your Federal aid through GCC. Federal financial aid is disbursed after census point for courses the student has commenced attendance. Students in late start classes will have their aid disbursed in accordance with the census point in that part of term. 
  • Aid is first applied to tuition, fees and other in school charges. If money remains, the Business Office will refund you any excess aid.
  • Need more information regarding Federal financial aid? Visit the Federal Student Aid website or call the Federal Hotline at 1-800-433-3243