About Student Outcome Tracking

Student Outcome Tracking Information

Genesee Community College has implemented Student Outcome Tracking. This page contains information for which students should familiarize themselves.

Students cannot be awarded financial aid for classes that do not count toward their degree or certificate program requirements. If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward his or her degree, those courses cannot be used to determine enrollment status and aid eligibility. All registered courses must apply to the student's program as a general education requirement, a major requirement or elective (whether restricted or free elective) or remedial.

Students who repeat courses they have taken previously either at GCC or another institution and received a passing grade may impact both federal and state aid programs (To maintain full-time status for financial aid, a student's coursework must be at least 12 credits without the repeated class). An exception may be made for state aid if the student did not meet the minimum grade requirement for that class for graduation.

  • Federal Aid, including student loans, will pay for a student to repeat a passed course only once.
  • State aid (TAP) will only pay for a repeated course once, but only if it is required to have a higher grade for graduation in the student's particular degree program.

If a student's program does not require them to earn a higher grade for graduation, but the student is being advised to repeat coursework for academic reasons, it may be advisable for the student to be enrolled in at least 12 credits of new coursework (in addition any repeated courses) in order to maintain his/her full time status.

A general misconception is that a student must be full time in order to receive financial assistance. That is incorrect. Students may be eligible to receive financial aid based on the following credit hour requirements.

Required Credits for aid programs:

  • Federal Pell grant: 1-12 or more credits
  • Federal SEOG: 1-12 or more credits
  • New York State TAP: 12 or more credits
  • New York State Aid for Part Time Study: 1 -11 credits
  • Federal Direct Loans (Student and Parent): 6 or more credits

Student Outcome Tracking FAQ

Why is it important to take courses that match my program requirements if I receive Financial Aid?

  • The Federal and State governments have mandated that all students receiving financial aid must take courses that apply to their programs. Schools will be held accountable to make sure students are taking the proper courses and could lose their ability to offer financial aid to students if they do not comply with this regulation.

What will happen to my financial aid if I choose to take courses that are not within my program?

  • You will only receive financial aid for courses in your program and your financial aid award package will be reduced to reflect the number of courses you are taking that do apply to your program.

How will I know if I'm not taking the right courses to satisfy the financial aid requirements? How will I be notified?

  • You will receive an electronic message when you register for courses in Banner Self Service indicating if a course does not meet the financial requirements and an explanation as to why it doesn't.

I recently did a Program change and certain courses were excluded from my GPA. Will these courses still affect my financial aid eligibility?

  • They may. Only courses that are required in your Program are eligible for financial aid. If you received a grade of D or higher in any of your excluded courses they will be viewed as completed requirements and will be used again (when determining financial aid) if there is room in your new Program.

If I repeat a course will I still receive financial aid for that course?

  • You may receive financial aid for all courses with 'F' grades. You will receive financial aid for courses with a D if your program says you must have a grade of 'C' or higher for that course. Federal aid (PELL/loans) will pay for a passed course to be repeated only once (withdrawing does NOT count as your one time repeat) regardless of the program or pre-requisite requirements. State aid will not pay for a repeated course.

What are prerequisite courses?

  • These are courses that prepare you to complete a required course successfully. They may or may not be required as part of your program.

I am presently taking non-credit/ remedial courses that are not part of my Major. Will I receive financial aid for these courses?

  • Yes, the federal and state governments consider these preparatory classes for successful completion of college level courses. However, you must be registered for at least 6 credit- bearing/non-remedial courses.

Will this only affect full time students?

  • No. Part time students must adhere to the same guidelines.

What do I do if I find out my courses are not going to be paid for by financial aid?

  • You will need to readjust the courses within your program and take courses that do count for financial aid. Otherwise you will be responsible for payment for all courses that do not meet program requirements.

Can I drop classes once school has begun if I find out that I'm not going to receive financial aid for them?

  • No. You may not drop classes for financial aid eligibility reasons once school has begun; you will be charged the regular fee if you drop classes according to the college catalog guidelines.

I do not receive any federal or state aid.  Does this apply to me?

  • These regulations only affect students receiving federal (including loans) and state aid. If you pay for courses on your own, you are free to take whatever courses you choose. However, taking courses outside of what is required for your major will prolong your time at Genesee and cost you additional funds. We encourage you to perform a Degree Audit periodically to ensure you are on your way to completing your degree.