Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details on current operations.
Accepted Student Checklist (U.S. Residents)
Step 1: Receive Acceptance Letter
- Congratulations on your acceptance to SUNY Genesee Community College! At this time, you should have received an acceptance letter from the Admissions Office.
- Your acceptance letter will indicate the major in which you were accepted and the necessary information for creating a password and logging into MyGCC:
- Username/Net ID
- Student ID (800XXXXXX)
- For transfer credit, be sure that you have submitted official college/university transcripts, AP scores directly from College Board, or Joint Services Transcripts to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Set-Up Password
- Visit the SUNY GCC website at www.genesee.edu.
- At the top of the homepage you will see a prompt to Login to MyGCC.
- After selecting MyGCC, click on the Technical/Password Help tab at the top of the page.
- Under Password help select: https://pwreset.genesee.edu.
- In the right-hand column choose: Set Up a Password (for new students).
- You will be prompted first for your Username and then Birth month (numerical digit without a “zero”) and Student ID.
- You will then be prompted to Create a Password.
- Once you successfully create your password you will be able to login to MyGCC.
- It will be helpful to maintain a copy of your username and password in a safe and secure location.
For technical assistance, call the HELP DESK at 1-866-614-5004
Step 3: Placement Testing
- All GCC students are required to meet the College proficiencies in math, reading, and English.
- Placement in these courses is determined by a variety of measures including: Accuplacer, ACT/ SAT V scores, high school dual credit, Regents ELA scores, or previous college credit.
- Students should review their Degree Works degree audit or contact email@example.com to determine if testing is required.
- To review your Degree Works degree audit: Login to MyGCC, select My Account Tab, select My Banner Self-Service, select Student Services, select Registration Menu, select “Run a Degree Works Degree Audit.”
- PLEASE NOTE:
- GCC is working with the College Board to complete training to offer the Accuplacer remotely in the near future. Please continue to check our website, https://www.genesee.edu/offices/testing/, for updates on Accuplacer availability.
- If due to any reason related to COVID-19 students cannot provide high school GPA, ACT, SAT, Regent’s scores, Accuplacer scores, etc., GCC will place them as “special admits.” Genesee Community College will implement the “special admit” process for academic year running from August 2020 through May 2021 only. Please contact your Advisor to determine your placement based on the “special admit” policy. https://www.genesee.edu/home/offices/student-success-center/student-success-coaches/
Step 4: Set up an Advisement Appointment and Register for Classes
- Visit the Student Success Directory and schedule a virtual or phone advisement appointment with the Student Success Coach assigned to your major or Campus Center Advisor:
- Prior to your appointment, you will need to
- “Set-up password”
- Successfully Log-in to MyGCC
- Open and Review your Degree Works Degree Audit
- Open ZOOM
- Once you have opened Zoom, select Join a Meeting.
- Enter the Meeting ID provided to you.
- Select Join Audio and Turn on Video in the bottom left hand corner
- During the appointment, the advisor will discuss degree requirements, course options, and help with the registration process.
Step 5: Financial Aid
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and TAP (NYS Tuition Assistance Program-New York State Residents) grant applications.
- In order to complete the FAFSA and TAP applications you will need the following:
- FSA ID for both student and parent/guardian (if a dependent student). https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm It will be helpful to maintain a copy of your FSA ID and password in a safe and secure location.
- State and Federal Taxes- 2017 (Summer) and 2018 (Fall and Spring)
- FAFSA https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- TAP https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/apply-for-financial-aid/nys-tap/apply-for-tap.html
- Once the applications are submitted and processed you will receive communication that includes PELL grant, TAP grant, and student loan eligibility. You can also review your award information in your MyGCC account.
- To review your Financial Aid Award information in MyGCC:
- Login to MyGCC, select My Account Tab, select My Banner Self-Service, select Financial Aid, select Award, select Award By Aid year, choose 2019-2020 for Summer and 2020-2021 for Fall and Spring, select Award Overview.
- Some students are selected for verification and will receive communication that they are required to submit additional documentation. The College cannot pay out any federal grant or loan until the verification process is complete. https://www.genesee.edu/home/offices/finaid/forms/
- You can access missing document information in your MyGCC account:
- Login to MyGCC, select My Account Tab, select My Banner Self-Service, select Financial Aid, select Eligibility, select Student Requirements.
- PELL and TAP are grants that do not have to be paid back and funding is earned and maintained by student academic performance. Students loans are available to eligible students who are enrolled in six credit hours applicable to their major. Student loans require acceptance in MyGCC and completion of additional requirements.
- To accept student loans in MyGCC and complete additional requirements:
- Login to MyGCC, select My Account Tab, select My Banner Self-Service, select Financial Aid, select Award By Aid Year, choose 2019-2020 for Summer or 2020-2021 for Fall and Spring, select Accept Award Offer*.
- *Amount accepted is disbursed over two semesters.
- In order to receive student loans, student must also login to https://studentaid.gov/ and complete:
- Entrance Counseling
- Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Step 6: Certificate of Residence
- General instructions for submitting a Certificate of Residence can be accessed at: www.genesee.edu/home/offices/student-accounts/certificate-of-residence/
- Genesee County Residents, please download and fill out the Certificate of Residence Application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For other New York State Residents, who live outside of Genesee County, please download and fill out the Certificate of Residence Application.
- Have your form notarized and submit the application and any required proof of residence to your County Treasurer’s Office. Contact your County Treasurer’s Office for county-specific requirements.
- Forward your valid Certificate of Residence (not the application) to email@example.com once your County issues the certificate.
- PLEASE NOTE: Failure to turn in a valid Certificate of Residence will result in double tuitioncharges being assessed.
- COVID-19 Update: Counties are normally only obligated to provide Residency Certificates for the first 30 days of the semester; however, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Cuomo issued an Executive Order that suspends the thirty-day requirement. Every county is now required to allow for electronic mail and mail-by-post applications for certificates of residence for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency. Students should check with their County Treasurer’s Office for county-specific requirements.
Step 7: Authorize Aid for Bookstore Use
- To use remaining financial aid toward the purchase of books, students need to Authorize Aid for Bookstore Use one time in their MyGCC account:
- Login to MyGCC, select My Account Tab, select My Banner Self-Service, select Financial Aid, select Authorize Aid for Bookstore use.
Step 8: Submit Immunization Records
- Proof of Immunization against measles, mumps and rubella is required of anyone born after 1956, who is enrolling for six or more credit hours (with at least one of those credit hours occurring on campus). Students who do not provide such proof may be dropped from registered classes in accordance with New York State health law and will have a hold placed on their account. All students registering for six or more credit hours must complete and return a meningitis response form. It is NOT necessary to have the meningitis vaccine; however, you do have to sign a waiver if you elect to not have the meningitis immunization. Those who fail to comply with these New York State laws will be prohibited from attending classes. For further information/guidance, please contact Student Health Services via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To view which immunization records are still required in MyGCC:
- Login to MyGCC, select My Account Tab, select My Banner Self-Service, select Personal Information, select Health Center Menu, Select Student Immunizations Display.
Other Items of Importance:
- Order Textbooks
- College Village Housing
- Student ID-Office of Student Engagement and Inclusion
- Parking Pass
- Dining Services
- Manage My Refund