Access & Accommodation Services for Students


Services and reasonable accommodations are granted to students who complete the Application for Access & Accommodation Services and submit complete written documentation of the disability from an appropriate and qualified source. The documentation must be current, preferably within the last three years (the acceptable age of documentation is dependent upon the disabling condition, the current status of the student, and the student’s specific request for accommodation).

For the documentation of the disability to be accepted by the College, the following general requirements must be observed:

  • Documentation must be printed on professional letterhead.
  • The credentials and signature of the evaluator, medical professional, etc. must be stated.
  • Documentation must include the minimum of a diagnosis and summary of current impact on the individual.
  • Include any tests administered, with scores, and recommendations of areas where accommodations might be needed.
  • A school plan such as a current individualized educational (IEP) plan or a 504 is insufficient documentation on its own.

Genesee Community College’s evaluation of the appropriateness of the documentation provided to support the accommodation requested will be based on a case by case determination of the essential components/technical standards of the program, service and activity.

For students with a learning disability

Appropriate documentation may include:

  • Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-R) or Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-R) within three years. Include sub-test scores
  • Current achievement test result
  • Current psychological report within three years
  • Most recent Triennial report

For students with other health impairments
(physical or psychological disabilities)

Appropriate documentation may include:

  • A doctor's report describing the disability and how this condition will affect the student's academic performance
  • Diagnosis, prognosis, and medications
  • DSM V-R Diagnosis
  • ACCES report (Adult Career and Continuing Education Services)

  • Current psychological assessment, treatment summary or discharge summary

Requests for services/accommodations can be made anytime during the year. To ensure, however, that accommodations/services are in place at the beginning of the semester, it is strongly recommended that students call to make an appointment with Access Services personnel before the first day of classes at (585) 343-0055 x6291. Students will be required to bring the appropriate documentation and the completed Services Intake Form to the meeting. At this time the information will be reviewed and reasonable accommodations will be recommended. The college makes every effort to process requests for accommodations in a timely manner.

Voter Registration

College students are a vital voting constituency.  With so much to juggle while in college, perhaps you may not have thought about registering to vote. Students requiring assistance can visit the Center for Academic Progress office and we will be glad to help you complete the voter registration form.

Continuation of Services

Once written documentation is on file and the accommodations/services are agreed upon, a general procedure is followed.  At the beginning of each semester, students can pick up their accommodation letters in CAP. To add additional services, the student would need to meet with an Access Services staff member to discuss other accommodations. The College’s Assessment Team will determine if the request warrants additional services.

Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education

According to the US Department of Education, “More and more high school students with disabilities are planning to continue their education in postsecondary schools, including vocational and career schools, two- and four- year colleges, and universities. As a student with a disability, you need to be well informed about your rights and responsibilities as well as the responsibilities postsecondary schools have toward you. Being well informed will help ensure you have a full opportunity to enjoy the benefits of the postsecondary education experience without confusion or delay.” For more information you can refer to the U.S. Department of Education's Website.