Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details on current operations.
New Student Orientation (NSO)!
Date: Friday, August 28, 2020
As we continue to grapple with public health concerns due to COVID-19, this year's orientation will be online/virtual. This means the following:
- Orientation Day: On August 28, 2020, Campus Life staff will conduct a live zoom session from 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. Join us as we provide information on campus life topics, answer any questions you have, and get a chance to meet other peers and Orientation Leaders (OLs)!
- Self-paced NSO Course: Students will be registered to the 'New Student Orientation' (NSO) course on Blackboard starting August 26, 2020. Students will go through the course in a self-paced format, however, the course should be completed by Friday, September, 4, 2020.
- Extended Orientation: During the first two weeks of the semester, in tandem with Weeks of Welcome (WOW), the Office of Student Engagement & Inclusion (SEI) and the Learning Center put together multiple live sessions that focus on various topics that are integral for your success at GCC. The schedule can be seen below. Sessions will be recorded and uploaded to the NSO Blackboard course.
Please note: Access information (i.e., zoom links) will be sent to your genesee.edu email. You will also be able to find zoom links in the NSO course.
The NSO program is designed to facilitate a smooth transition into the GCC community by educating students and their families on the academic and social opportunities and responsibilities expected at Genesee. Students are highly encouraged to participate in NSO for several reasons, including but not limited to:
- First step to a successful transition to the GCC community;
- Meet other new students and the professors who will be teaching your classes;
- Acclimate you to new surroundings and resources;
- Identify ways to become involved on campus.
The NSO program provides you with an introduction to GCC and will give you an opportunity to develop your own conclusions and ideas. Each campus location will be participating so you can get the same information no matter where you participate from!
Orientation Day: On August 28, 2020, join us for a live zoom session from 9:30 - 11:00 a.m.
Self-paced NSO Course: Students will be registered to the 'New Student Orientation' (NSO) course on Blackboard starting August 26, 2020.
Extended Orientation: August 31 - September 11 (Please take a look at the specific dates below)
|Session/Topic||Date & Time|
|Financial Literacy (Understanding Financial Aid) & Budget Management||Monday, August 31, 2020 | 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.|
|Mental Health & The Collegiate Transition||Wednesday, September 2, 2020 | 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.|
|Managing College Communications||Thursday, September 3, 2020 | TBA|
|College Success Skills – Study Skills & More||Friday, September 4, 2020 | 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.|
|Navigating a Culturally Rich Landscape||Tuesday, September 8, 2020 | 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.|
|U.S. & International Culture(s) and Higher Education||Wednesday, September 9, 2020 | 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.|
|Honing Your Professional Career (Do's & Do not's)||Friday, September 11, 2020 | 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.|
If you have any questions, please contact Miguel Baique (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Student Engagement & Inclusion.