Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details on current operations. Learn how students can verify their vaccination status.
Accepted International Student Checklist
Step 1: Receive Acceptance Letter
- Congratulations! Upon acceptance to SUNY Genesee Community College, you will receive an acceptance letter from the Admissions Office.
- Your acceptance letter will indicate which major you were accepted to and the necessary information for creating a password and logging in to myGCC:
- Username/Net ID
- Student ID (800XXXXXX)
- For transfer credit, be sure that you have submitted your official foreign college transcripts through WES to email@example.com.
Step 2: Pay SEVIS Fee and Make Visa Appointment
- Pay SEVIS fee.
- Schedule your visa appointment at your local embassy/consulate.
Step 3: Set-Up Password
- Visit the SUNY GCC website.
- At the top of the homepage you will see a prompt to Log in to myGCC.
- After selecting myGCC, click on the Technical/Password Help tab at the top of the page.
- Under Password help select: https://pwreset.genesee.edu/showLogin.cc.
- In the right-hand column choose: Set Up a Password (for new students).
- You will be prompted first for your Username and then Birth month (numerical digit without a “zero”) and Student ID.
- You will then be prompted to Create a Password.
- Once you successfully create your password you will be able to login to myGCC.
For technical assistance, call the HELP DESK at 1-866-614-5004.
Step 4: Placement Testing
- All GCC students are required to meet the College proficiencies in math, reading, and English.
- Placement in these courses is determined by Multiple Measures Policy including: Accuplacer, ACT/ SAT V scores, high school dual credit, Regents ELA scores, or previous college credit, TOEFL.
- Students should review their Degree Works degree audit or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if testing is required.
- To review your Degree Works degree audit:
- Log in to myGCC.
- Select My Account Tab.
- Select My Banner Self Service.
- Select Student Services.
- Select Registration Menu.
- Select “Run a Degree Works Degree Audit.”
- If you are required to take ACCUPLACER, testing information and practice tests are available at the Testing Office web page.
Step 5: Set up an Advisement Appointment and Register for Classes
- Visit the Student Success Directory and schedule a virtual or phone advisement appointment with Jenny Weatherall, International Student Success Coach:
- Prior to your appointment, you will need to
- Once you have opened Zoom, select Join a Meeting.
- Enter the Meeting ID provided to you.
- Select Join Audio and Turn on Video in the bottom left hand corner
- During the appointment, the advisor will discuss degree requirements, course options, and help with the registration process.
Step 6: Check GCC email, myGCC, and International Student Blackboard Organization
- Your GCC email, myGCC account, and Blackboard will provide you with important information and updates, so check them daily.
Step 7: Submit Student Immunization Form
- Fill out and submit Student Immunization Form to email@example.com
- It is advised students secure their own international insurance prior to arrival
Step 8: Secure Housing
- For on-campus housing email CollegeVillage@genesee.edu. Learn how to apply.
- There are a variety of off-campus housing options available. Search apartment rentals in Batavia, NY 14020
Step 9: Inform GCC of Your Arrival Information
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org your day, time, location of arrival
Step 10: Submit Copies of Immigration Documents
- Email email@example.com copies of your passport, visa, I-20
Step 11: Attend Mandatory International Student Information Session
- Check your GCC email for more information