Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details on current operations.
The Child Care Certificate program is designed to prepare you to become a care-giver to young children. The program is also designed to upgrade your skills and knowledge even if you already work with young children. Quality child care is an increasingly critical issue in today's world and the demands for qualified child care services have become an important necessity to the working population. Our certificate program can be completed in two semesters full time.
The Child Care Certificate may be taken as part of the Human Services AAS Degree program.
Did you know that a majority of the Child Care program can be completed online?
- Child Care CERT (50% or more can be completed online)
Visit our Office of Online Learning for more information!
The Child Care Certificate will prepare you to attend to the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual development of young children. You will develop skills in observing and evaluating behaviors as well as determining appropriate teaching or discipline methods. Coursework in the program emphasizes child development and typical behaviors from birth to age six. you will learn about:
- Common childhood illnesses (symptoms and treatment)
- Nutritional requirements
- Child abuse factors
- Safety hazards
- First aid techniques
- Special needs of children
You will also earn hands-on experience in child care agencies.
At GCC, you will:
- Develop skills working with the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs of young children
- Develop skills observing and evaluating behaviors and determining appropriate teaching or discipline methods
- Focus on child development, typical illnesses and behaviors in children from birth to age six
- Emphasize group learning materials and teaching methods for ages three to five
- Sharpen classroom skills and gain valuable experience through field placement
After getting your GCC degree, some occupations you may consider are: