Please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) GCC Response Information for details on current operations.
Genesee’s Fine Arts program aims to inspire your creativity, immerse you in experiential learning and showcase your talent. At the same time, you’ll acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to continue your education and succeed in B.A. or B.F.A. programs. Our faculty members place a high priority on the development of conceptual knowledge, design techniques, studio skills, creative thought and professional discipline. They are also committed to helping you pursue your individual interests and develop your unique talent. Each student develops a quality portfolio of artwork to be used for career and transfer options.
Did you know that a majority of the Fine Arts program can be completed online?
- Fine Arts AS (50% or more can be completed online)
Visit our Office of Online Learning for more information!
As a Fine Arts student at GCC, you will enjoy classes in Drawing, Painting, Ceramics, Art History, Three-Dimensional Design, Two-Dimensional Design, Photography and Museum and Portfolio Fundamentals. Electives such as Computer Graphics, Stagecraft, and Introduction to Theatrical Design will round out your Fine Arts experience at GCC.
You will also benefit from the outstanding arts facilities which feature:
- Well-equipped and naturally lit art studios for drawing, painting, and ceramics
- The 1,700 square-foot Rosalie “Roz” Steiner Art Gallery
- The 328-seat Stuart Steiner Theater with a full scene shop, costume shop and dressing rooms
- State-of-the-art computer graphics lab; an acoustically designed music studio
- A dance and rehearsal studio
Here are just a few of the career opportunities that can begin with a Genesee Community College Fine Arts degree:
- Art Galleries: Gallery Director, Owner, Staff
- Architectural, Engineering Firms: Model Maker, Mold Maker, Architect
- Auction Houses: Fine Arts Appraiser, Coordinator, Art Dealer
- Education: Elementary, Secondary or College Teacher, Professor or Administrator
- Human Services: Art Therapist
- Production Companies: Set Designer, Muralist
- Museums: Museum Craftsperson, Restorer, Conservator, Exhibit Designer
- Photo Agencies: Photography Lab Technician
- Publications: Photo Journalist, Art Writer, Critic, Book Illustrator, Cartoonist, Layout Artist
- Craftsperson: Painter, Sculptor, Printmaker, Ceramicist
- Retail Stores: Retail Store Art Director, Jewelry Designer
Starting at GCC saves many students and their families thousands of dollars in tuition. With an A.S. or A.A. degree you will be able to seamlessly transfer within the SUNY network of 64 college and universities as well as to many 4-year private institutions. GCC's A.S. and A.A. programs were developed as part of the SUNY seamless transfer initiative allowing students to complete the first two years of a bachelor's degree as a freshman and a sophomore at a community college, then seamlessly transfer to a SUNY four-year institution to earn a bachelor's degree. Please reference the SUNY Transfer Pathways for degree programs to learn about any campus specific requirements. Visit the SUNY Core Course Finder to plan out the courses you should complete to transfer to a 4-year SUNY School.
If you are planning to transfer to a 4-year private institution you should work with our Transfer Services office to learn about possible articulation agreements and pathways that exist for many or our degree programs. Some GCC A.A.S. programs also have transfer opportunities.
To learn more about these opportunities and agreements contact the Transfer Services Office, we are more than happy to work with you and answer any questions you may have on building your own personalized transfer plan.
Transfer opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Art Institute of Pittsburgh*
- Daemen College
- Hilbert College
- Nazareth College
- Niagara University*
- Roberts Wesleyan
- SUNY Buffalo State College*
- SUNY College at Brockport
- SUNY College at Fredonia
- SUNY University at Buffalo
*GCC has current transfer agreements with the above noted institutions.