GCC's award-winning Theatre Arts program is designed to expose you to the richness of the performing arts and to provide a solid academic foundation for further study and career opportunities in theatre.
As a graduate, you can transfer to a baccalaureate institution as juniors. GCC students who have transferred and graduated from four-year institutions have been featured in films, started theatre companies, served as artistic directors, interned for regional equity theatres, designed costumes for college and equity theatres, and taught acting at professional theatres to elementary and high school students.
Did you know that a majority of the Theatre Arts program can be completed online?
- Theatre Arts AA (50% or more can be completed online)
Visit our Office of Online Learning for more information!
A degree from GCC's Theatre Arts program is a degree in liberal arts. You will take courses in English, history, mathematics, humanities and sciences. You will then take theatre courses focusing in:
- Voice and articulation
- Theatre technology and design
- Play analysis
- Theatre history
- Audition Technique
- Participation in Live shows
- Children's Theatre (including touring)
You'll hone your skills by participating in four productions a year as well as extracurricular workshops. You'll study and perform in the Genesee Center for the Arts, a modern facility which houses a 328-seat theatre, rehearsal studio, dressing rooms, scene shop, costume shop, and sound and lighting studio.
After getting your GCC degree, some occupations you may consider are:
- Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Entertainers and Performers, Sports and Related Workers, All Other
- Fashion Designers
- Music Directors
- Musicians, Instrumental
- Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
- Program Directors
- Set and Exhibit Designers
- Talent Directors
- Technical Directors/Managers
GCC has many transfer agreements with 4-year institutions like:
- Niagara University
- SUNY College at Brockport
- SUNY College at Buffalo
- SUNY College at Geneseo
- SUNY College at Oswego
- SUNY Fredonia