Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
SPE108 - Public Speaking
Catalog Description: Develops listening and organizational skills and the ability to present messages effectively in public speaking situations. Primary instructional strategies are theory-model-practice and evaluation.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Develop strategies to control nervousness about speaking in public.
2. Differentiate between informative and persuasive speaking
3. Identify the characteristics of various kinds of speeches.
4. Compose various kinds of speeches (e.g. tribute/eulogy, demonstration, instructional, conference paper presentation, etc.).
5. Deliver various kinds of speeches using effective presentation skills (e.g. eye contact, expressiveness, posture, projection, movement, volume, clarity, reduction of oral and visual distractions, etc.).
6. Modify presentation spaces based on speech content and audience.
7. Enhance speeches with judicious choices and designs of visual aids (e.g. PowerPoint, Prezi, etc.)
Effective Term: Fall 2019