Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
SPA201 - Intermediate Spanish 1
Catalog Description: Enhances Spanish listening, speaking, reading and writing skills at the intermediate level. Prepares students to interact with native speakers in everyday settings. Increases depth and breadth of linguistic and cultural understanding. Instruction occurs in Spanish with some explanation in English. See placement guidelines on Advisement Homepage. Instructor determines final placement. Prerequisite: SPA 102 or equivalent. Typically offered Fall only.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Engage in spontaneous conversation in the present and past tense. [speaking]
2. Offer advice or influence actions of others using the subjunctive or commands. [listening, speaking, writing]
3. Create presentations using supporting information in Spanish (websites, wiki's, news and/or research articles etc.) [speaking]
4. Extract main idea or details from audio input that contains a variety of tenses and structures (past, present, future, commands, subjunctive etc.)
5. Identify tone and register from audio input (dialogs, speeches, advertisement, cultural videos etc.). [listening]
6. Compose grammatically correct informative or persuasive essays in Spanish that include a variety of tenses and structures. [writing]
7. Revise written work in Spanish. [writing]
8. Identify cultural stereotypes and discuss strategies for overcoming biases. [diversity, culture]
9. Explain key cultural components of Spanish-speaking societies (norms, values, traditions, language etc.). [speaking, writing, culture]
Effective Term: Fall 2019