Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Office Technology/Secretarial Courses:
OFT244 - Medical Office Procedures
Catalog Description: Examines responsibilities and duties of the medical office assistant through the use of projects and simulations that include medical law and ethics, preparation of records and records management, telephone procedures and appointment scheduling, health insurance and billing, office management, professional reports, and medical meetings.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge and skills:
1.Define medical law ethics by scoring a minimum of 70% on a unit test.
2.Complete a minimum of two office simulation projects with medical billing, financial reports and scheduling by scoring a minimum of 70% on a unit test.*
3.Discuss in a 5-minute oral report the purpose of medical compliance and three ways the assistant can help the practice be compliant.
4.Interview a medical office professional and then research and write a 3-page report listing at least ten of the tasks and skills required of an Administrative Medical Assistant by interviewing a medical office professional.
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
Part 1 - The Administrative Medical Assistant's Career
1. Medical Office Opportunities
2. Qualifications for Success
3. Medical Law and Ethics
Part 2 - Administrative Responsibilities
4. Telephone Procedures
6. Records Management
7. Written Communications
Part 3 - Patient Records
8. Preparing Medical Records
Part 4 - Financial Responsibilities
10. Health Insurance
11. Financial Records
Part 5 - Professional Activities
12. Office Management
13. Professional Reports
14. Medical Meetings and Travel Arrangements
Part 6 - Facing the Future
15. Your Job-Hunting Campaign
16. Preparing for Advancement
Effective Term: Fall 2012