Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Office Technology/Secretarial Courses:
OFT135 - Medical Forms and Billing
Catalog Description: Emphasize the role of computers in health insurance using computerized patient accounting software. Students will be introduced to medical billing, insurance terminology, and the preparation of insurance claims. Software will simulate medical office situation which includes patient information input, billing operations, and document production. Prerequisite or corequisite: OFT116.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course as documented through writing, objective testing, case studies, laboratory practice, and/or classroom discussion, the student will be able to:
1. Apply medical billing and insurance terminology to various insurance forms.
2. Prepare medical insurance forms and claims input patient information.
3. Demonstrate office hour scheduling input.
4. Prepare designated medical documents.
5. Demonstrate proficiency in the use of medical billing and accounting software.*
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
1. The Medical Office Billing Process
2. Information Technology and HIPAA
3. Introduction to Medisoft
4. Entering Patient Information
5. Entering Insurance, Account, and Condition Information
6. Entering Charge Transactions and Patient Payments
7. Creating Claims
8. Posting Insurance Payments and Creating Patient Statements
9. Printing Reports
10. Collections in the Medical Office
Effective Term: Fall 2012