Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
MAT140 - Precalculus
Catalog Description: Studies polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions and their inverses. Four class hours. Not open for credit to students who have credit in MAT 141 or higher. Prerequisite: MAT 136 (with a minimum grade of C) or equivalent by placement.
Lecture: 4 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Graph transformations of functions.
2. Find the composition of functions.
3. Compute the inverses of functions.
4. Calculate the zeros of a function.
5. Perform various operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents) on complex numbers.
6. Solve equations involving logarithms or exponentials as required.
7. Apply right triangle trigonometry to solve equations.
8. Calculate the trigonometric value of any angle.
9. Find the inverse trigonometric angle for any value.
10. Solve trigonometric equations using trigonometric identities when necessary.
11. Apply the law of sines or the law of cosines, as appropriate, to solve a triangle.
Effective Term: Fall 2019