Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
English Second Language Courses:
ESL090 - Elementary English I
Catalog Description: Introduces non-native English speakers to basic language skills needed for academic purposes. Students who pass the course with a grade of C or higher have developed the ability to understand and use English in reading, writing, listening and speaking at the novice level. Requires additional laboratory practice weekly. Placement in English as a Second Language courses is determined by instructor or by placement test.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Summarize key points of authentic academic texts and videos in English.
2. Create short essays based on given themes.
3. Use English academic vocabulary in the creation of written work.
4. Use English conventions in the creation of written work.
5. Reflect on English content (readings, videos, lecture material, etc.) using high-novice level English.
6. Interpret American cultural behaviors and norms in various contexts.
7. Initiate, and respond to, extemporaneous conversational cues in English.
Effective Term: Fall 2019