Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
EDF100 - Introduction to Education
Catalog Description: Provides knowledge, understanding, and skill related to the interactions taking place in the classroom and within the school system from the perspective of the paraprofessional. Focuses on managing records and materials, attending to the needs of students, assisting in the development of instructional materials and experiences, assisting in instructional work, and current issues related to the operation of schools. Students complete a guided field observation under the supervision of a certified teacher.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Describe the organization of the U.S. school system and its function in American society (historically and currently).
2. Identify the relevance of current issues in U.S. education and describe how they apply to the K-12 classroom.
3. Compare and contrast the roles and responsibilities of teachers from paraeducators, as defined by state and federal regulations, with a particular emphasis on local expectations.
4. Describe the ethical and legal issue related to the learning environment, including professional standards of conduct and laws governing child protection.
5. Describe the stages of child and adolescent cognitive development with regard to developmentally and age-appropriate instructional strategies.
6. Reflect critically upon the importance of respect for diversity in all aspects of education (learning styles, culture, religion, gender, socio-economic status, and sexual orientation of students, etc.).
7. Engage in extensive written reflection upon completion of an applied service learning experience connected to students chosen career path.
8. Describe the nature of the teaching/learning environment, including providing instructional support, classroom management and the assessment of instruction.
9. Write an APA formatted research paper based upon an analysis of an empirical research article related to the field of education (based upon specified criteria).
Effective Term: Fall 2019