Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Computer Information Systems Courses:
|CIS106 - Introduction to Second Life|
Catalog Description: An Introduction to the Second Life online environment. Students will enhance computer skills for dealing with virtual reality. Students are asked to do a variety of tasks in the Second Life environment. Students will be expected to make use of home computers or the computer facilities to complete projects. Not open to students with credit in CIS198.
Lecture: 2 hrs.
Lab: 2 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Create a note card and give it to the instructor's avatar
2. Create screenshots showing the changed and original appearance and outfit of avatar
3. Visit a location of importance to English, History, Science or Art, as specified by the instructor
4. Create an object consisting of at least 2 prims and 2 textures and give to the instructor's Avatar *
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
1. Create an avatar and a Tutorial Island
2. How to create screen shots
3. Teleporting - Getting to the GCC plot
4. Groups in Second Life
5. Going to instructor supplied sites
6. Virtual economy, virtual money, virtual shopping
7. Change appearance / outfit of avatar
8. How to transfer item(s) to another avatar
9. Note cards-creation and use
10. Creating objects in Second Life
11. Searching for locations in Second Life
Effective Term: Spring 2017