Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the list below or search for a class by Course Title.
Business Administration Courses:
BUS203 - Advertising
Catalog Description: Introduces advertising principles as part of the marketing mix. Develops skills in types of media, copy development, layout visualization, and planning and implementation of advertising campaigns including production of TV commercials.
Lecture: 3 hrs.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Describe the characteristics of effective advertising.
2. Organize the completion of a large project into small manageable components.
3. Demonstrate team building skills.
4. Conduct environmental scans to identify potential ad opportunities.
5. Communicate effectively to a variety of constituencies (team communication, email, telephone, letter).
6. Research background and operations of individual businesses (situational analysis, SWOT, target market analysis, market position, image, performance, etc.)
7. Compose professional business communication.
8. Match research methods appropriately to business opportunities.
9. Communicate brand image to various target markets.
10. Develop an advertising strategy based on applicable research.
11. Determine an advertising budget appropriate to a specific situation.
12. Write effective copy for an advertising campaign.
13. Create effective visuals using design principles to meet the objectives of an advertising campaign.
14. Identify appropriate advertising methods to best communicate the goals of an advertising campaign to a specific target market.
15. Demonstrate sales promotion techniques when promoting an advertising campaign.
Effective Term: Fall 2019