Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
|ART207 - Graphic Design Applications|
Catalog Description: In-depth study of graphic design software including paint and vector-based programs. Tutorials guide students through detailed exploration of layout, paint, and draw programs. Two class hours, two studio hours. Prerequisites: ART105 and ART209.
Lecture: 2 hrs.
Lab: 2 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completing of the course, as documented by projects, class discussion, and instructor critiques, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the following skills in the use of vector based programs:
a.) create basic shapes
b.) use a bezier pen tool to control lines and curves in the creation of illustrations.
c.) create illustrations from photographs
d.) use layers
e.) manage colors, gradients and patterns
f.) use and create brushes
g.) format text
2. Translate a photograph into an illustration for an advertisement.
3. Demonstrate the following skills in the use of Paint/Pixel/Bitmap programs:
a.) utilize advanced selection tools
b.) employ layers
c.) scan images
d.) determine proper file resolution
e.) use color modes appropriately
f.) use filters
4. Document knowledge in the appropriate uses of text in Photoshop
5. Create realistic composite imagery.
6. Integrate skills by creating a functional advertisement.
7. Demonstrate the following skills in the use of layout programs:
a.) link text boxes
b.) import linked graphics that are properly formatted and manage linked files and fonts.
c.) create custom colors and manage color modes within a document.
d.) appropriately use frames and borders.
e.) fine tune text using typographic skills.
f.) create text wrap arounds.
g.) manage multi-page documents.
8. Create a brochure that incorporates the full array of learned skills.*
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the College's Comprehensive Assessment Plan. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data (see Assessing Student Learning Outcomes form) And submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Assessment and Special Projects.
I. Introduce students to draw programs and the concept of vectors in graphics and their use in design.
Students will complete assigned project(s) using draw program and add to portfolio.
II. Introduce students to paint/pixel based programs and the concept of the file resolution and scanning basics.
Students will complete assigned project(s) using paint/pixel program and add to portfolio.
III. Introduce students to layout programs and the concept of importing files into a program that organizes a whole.
Students will complete assigned project(s) using layout program and add to portfolio.
IV. Create final portfolio of work completed in ART 207.
Effective Term: Fall 2006