Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
|ART114 - Painting 1|
Catalog Description: Introduces acrylic painting techniques. Focuses on the use of color theory, design fundamentals and painting styles. Two class hours, two studio hours. Prerequisite: ART 110
Lecture: 2 hrs.
Lab: 2 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course as documented through writing, objective testing, case studies, laboratory practice, and/or classroom discussion, the student will be able to:
1. Create at least six paintings exploring painting technique, concept development, and compositional design.*
2. Demonstrate the following painting techniques, color theory, impasto, transparent glazes, developing perspective, approaches to realism and abstraction.
3. Analyze artwork and utilize art vocabulary to describe artwork and critique discussions.
4. Write a 500-word descriptive paper showing knowledge of a designated art topic.
5. Demonstrate quality craftmanship, aesthetic resolution, and display artwork that is finished and presentable.
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
1 Introduction and painting materials
2 Creating a contour sketch on canvas and visual research
3 Color theory and composition
4 Painting negative positive space
5 Relating color to a gradient tone
6 Analyzing light and dark; painting a value range
7 Impasto texture techniques
8 Rules of perspective and creating 3D illusion
9 Transparency and glazing techniques
10 Developing Form and realism
11 Working from photographs
12 Transfer techniques and contemporary art
13 Composing landscape and working on location outside
14 Mixed media techniques integrated into acrylic painting
15 Final critiques and Written paper Due
Effective Term: Fall 2012