Genesee Course Listing
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
|ART110 - Drawing 1|
Catalog Description: Introduces beginning drawing skills. Focuses on observational drawing and the development of an artistic imagination. Students must supply their own materials. Two class hours, two studio hours.
Lecture: 2 hrs.
Lab: 2 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course as documented through writing, objective testing, case studies, laboratory practice, and/or classroom discussion, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate at least six types of drawing, including contour drawing, line drawing, gesture drawing, portraiture, perspective, and shading a value scale. *
2. Create artwork using a variety of drawing materials, including pencil, conte,-crayon, charcoal, and ink.
3. Write a paper of a minimum of 500 words on a designated topic in the arts.
4. Analyze artwork and demonstrate knowledge of art vocabulary in critique discussions.
5. Complete a semester sketchbook that contains all art projects. Each drawing must be finished, cleaned up and presentable.
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
1 Introduction to drawing
2 Blind contour and modified contour drawing
3 Right and Left Brain Theory
4 Drawing on memories and the symbolism system
5 Positive and negative space in drawing
6 Perspective drawing
8 Value and the logic of lights and darks
9 Gesture drawing and the human figure
10 Grid drawing technique
11 Mixed media drawing technique
12 Color Theory
13 Abstract Drawing
14 Portfolio Review
15 Final paper / presentations.
Effective Term: Fall 2012