Genesee Community College


Quick Links


Financial Aid
Room C231
One College Rd
Batavia, NY 14020
P: 585-345-6900
F: 585-343-6726

Apply for Aid

Applying for financial aid is as easy as 1, 2, 3!  

1. Get Your PIN

To start the aid process, the student and parent (if student is still a dependent) can apply for a personal identification number (PIN) to complete the FAFSA online.  This can either be done at least 3 days before the FAFSA is filed or upon completion of the FAFSA.  

Your PIN will act as your signature for the FAFSA.  Store your PIN information in a safe, secure place as you will use it to sign future FAFSAs.  Do not share your PIN with anyone!

2. File Your FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be completed online at  The FAFSA is done in 7 sections:

  • Student Demographics 
  • School Selection (GCC's Federal Code is 006782
  • Dependency Status
  • Parent Demographics (for dependent students)
  • Financial Information
  • If you have already filed your taxes, try using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT)!  It will transfer your tax information right on to your FAFSA.  It's quick, easy and available for most parents and students!  View a Tutorial on how to use the IRS DRT.
  • Sign & Submit (this is where you'll use the PIN)
  • Confirmation

Note: You will need your Tax Returns and W-2's (dependent students will also need their parent(s)' Tax Returns and W-2's) in order to complete the Financial Information section of the FAFSA!

Watch this helpful video on filing the FAFSA!

3. Apply for TAP

Complete the TAP application (GCC's TAP Code is 2252).  The TAP application can be completed immediately following the FAFSA.  Students are encouraged to select that link to apply for TAP.

You can also log on to the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website and apply for TAP there.    


Important Financial Aid Information

  • When will I receive my financial aid?
    The Department of Education will pay your Federal aid through GCC.  Federal financial aid is disbursed in two equal disbursements during the Fall and Spring semesters.  Disbursements typically occur post-census (approximately 3 weeks in to the semester) and after the 60% point of the semester.  (Students in late start classes will have their aid disbursed in accordance with the part of term).  
  • Aid is first applied to tuition, fees and other in school charges.  If money remains, the Business Office will refund you any excess aid.
  • Need more information regarding Federal financial aid?  Visit or call the Federal Hotline at 1-800-433-3243