|Employer||Hidden Valley Animal Adventure|
|Hours||Varies - as early as 9:00 am and as late as 8:30 pm|
|Rate / Salary||$9 - $10 / hr|
|Status||Summer - Part Time|
QualificationsMust be at least 18 years old.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Customer Service: Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings; Effective positive communication with guests.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Diversity: Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values.
- HVAA Core Values Passion for Service: the guest, internal and external, always comes first. Staff strive to provide consistent, legendary service.
Educational Experience - provide an educational experience for our guests. All staff are to be knowledgeable about HVAA's history, exhibited animals, upcoming events, and Hidden Valley's vision.; Integral Teamwork - through words and actions, staff cooperate and collaborate with a sense of 'oneness' with clear trust, focus, and effective actions with the Hidden Valley team.; Honesty and Integrity - staff demonstrate truthful accuracy in actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes.; Professional and Orderly Manner - conduct business in a professional and orderly manner while providing every guest with the same first class experience. Results - continuously establishing and achieving measurable, challenging goals, staying true to HVAA's values and guiding principles.
Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative - Volunteers readily; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of basic computer skills to clock time in and out of our Complete Payroll Processing (CPP) Timekeeping system.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None required.
Other Skills and Abilities: Tractor driving experience preferred.
Other Qualifications: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is expected to have a positive attitude; cynicism goes against HVAA's culture. The Job also requires excellent time-management skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; extreme cold and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Work Requirements: The work requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An employee performing the duties of this Job is expected to work up to a 40-hour week requiring flexibility to include weekends and holidays. Days and hours will vary based on HVAA needs. Adherence to all policies and rules in the employee manual and
Dress Code Wear designated uniform. Assigned HVAA 2014 tee-shirt, khaki pants or shorts (no shorter than above the knee), HVAA distributed hat w/branding logo, and work shoes (appropriate enclosed shoe that is conservative in appearance). A time-piece/watch is necessary for this position.
Postion Specs: A seasonal hourly part-time to full-time position. Must be at least 18 years old per NYS DOT regulations. HVAA is an "at will" and equal opportunity employer.
SkillsAbility to work in a fast paced environment. Able to work independently. Customer service skills. Detail oriented. Excellent communication skills. Excellent people skills.
DescriptionJob Title: Tractor Driver
Job Code: Tractor Driver
Reports To: Park Tour Operations Manager FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Prepared By: Barbara Dominesey
Prepared Date: February 2014
Approved By: Barbara Dominesey
Summary: This skilled, safety minded driver manages time well as guests enjoy a unique, interactive experience on a one-hour Safari Park tour
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Drive tractor that pulls a trolley through the Safari Park on a 55-minute schedule, stopping periodically to give guests a safe interactive experience with the animals, stopping at each gate to allow tour guide to open the gate and shortening feeding stops when necessary to ensure guest safety.
- Maintain a safe and reasonable speed with the tractor, being careful not to jerk trolley when starting and stopping the tractor; important to remain on tractor, avoiding interaction with animals unless you are in a situation that warrants such action and you are not jeopardizing your personal safety.
- Alert guests when ready to continue tour by giving a double-horn beep to signal guests to get seated.
- Complete opening tasks which include fueling tractor and logging fuel, pull up tractor-trolley to platform prior as scheduled by supervisor, wipe down trolley benches ensuring they are clean and dry before guests board, assist with grain setup on the platform, and setup audio/microphone system and ensure it functions properly. Return used towels to washer area when done using them.
- Maintain clean interior of trolley before every ride, cleaning benches and sweeping the floor to maintain a clean and safe trolley for guests.
- Walk around the trolley prior to departure to ensure no animals or guests are at risk of injury from departing tractor and trolley.
- Communicate with Park Tour Operations Manager via two-way radio with all concerns in a timely manner.
- Assist guests on and off the trolley as needed, helping with grain cup distribution or collection.
- Ensure boarding gate is up and secure and Park rules have been verbalized by Tour Guide prior to departing from the Platform.
- At end of shift, park tractor and trolley in designated area in HVAA parking lot; wash tractor and trolley interior/exterior as needed to maintain cleanliness for the guest experience.
- In anticipation of inclement weather, cover receiver box with garbage bags and tie off to enclose the box.
- Perform regular maintenance on tractors as needed (check oil, tire pressure, diesel level) and record on proper form.
- Perform regular maintenance on trolley, check trailer hitch, grease hitch in front of trolley twice each month, check breakaway to see if hooked and if it is working properly, and record on proper form.
- Last tractor driver through the Park MUST ensure all gates are properly closed.
- Communicate daily with Park Tour Operations Manager noting concerns that must be addressed ASAP, issues to be discussed or corrected , and positive experiences to share at next daily huddle.
- Participate in a daily pre-shift huddle with Park Tour Operations Manager.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Able to operate landscape machinery and equipment to perform routine landscaping duties, such as mowing and weeding.
- Whenever you site garbage on HVAA property, pickup and drop in appropriate area (not while in the Park with guests).
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
How to ApplyE-Mail Resume and Cover Letter to Hidden Valley Animal Adventure, email@example.com. Send Resume and Cover Letter to Hidden Valley Animal Adventure, 2887 Royce Rd, Varysburg, NY 14167. Fax Resume and Cover Letter to Hidden Valley Animal Adventure, (585) 535-4102.
Complete the application at: www.hiddenvalleyadventure.com
HVAA application is on our website under the "Contact" tab.
Return to Job Listings »