Is Online Learning for Me?
GCC's online learning is designed to work for anyone who will put in the hard work necessary to earn their college degree, but who also needs the flexibility of learning anywhere, anytime.
Are you ready? Take the Readiness Assessment to find out for sure.
Tips for Online Students
Successful online students exhibit the following qualities:
- Be a self-starter — have the maturity and motivation to work independently.
- Use time wisely, be organized, be self-directed, and be willing to use new modes of communication and learning.
- Be willing to put in the needed time, read the text carefully, and actively participate in online class activities.
- Check communication frequently, get all assignments in on time, and discuss any concerns and questions with the instructor.
- Have regular access to a computer that meets minimum requirements.
- Have basic computer skills and be able to navigate the Internet.
What's Expected of Me?
- Students taking an online course will login as requested by the instructor. At a minimum, students will log into the class three times a week. Instructors may also impose additional login requirements.
- Students taking an online or hybrid course for the first time are urged to participate in Technical Orientation or view the recorded Technical Orientation webinar. Technical orientation reinforces the necessary computer skills, familiarity with essential online class functions, and awareness of strategies for online student success.
- To comply with Federal financial aid attendance requirements students must check into the class within the first two days of class and must engage in at least one substantial activity (e.g., sending a course communication to the instructor, participating in a discussion and/or completing a quiz) each week of the class. This minimum level of participation only satisfies the Federal regulation and does not supersede the additional requirements that may be set by the instructor of the course.
- Students in online courses are required to adhere to the Student Code of Conduct, Plagiarism Policy, and Academic Dates and Deadlines.