Placement test scores are required for all new incoming and transfer students for placement into reading, English and math classes. Students who have ACT scores on file in the Admission's office are not required to take the College's placement test. The COMPASS and ACCUPLACER placement tests are free to students who complete their testing at a GCC campus.
ACCUPLACER and COMPASS placement tests are untimed computerized tests, that help you and your academic advisor select classes and plan an appropriate course of study. The tests are not used to determine admission to the college.
- Photo ID is required for testing
- No appointment is necessary
- COMPASS/ACCUPLACER testing is available at all Campus Centers
- Allow approximately 2 hours for completion of a placement test
- There is no charge for the test
Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request for persons with disabilities. Please notify Margaret Heater, Assistant Dean of Student Development at (585) 343-0055 extension 6475.
Students outside of Western New York
For remote placement testing, students will be given either a COMPASS or ACCUPLACER placement test.
Getting ready for COMPASS or ACCUPLACER tests
The following websites will provide you with lessons in reading, writing and math to help you brush up on your skills and knowledge. It is highly recommended that students take an ACCUPLACER sample test prior to their testing date.
- What's on an ACCUPLACER test? Information about the ACCUPLACER test and sample test questions
- ACCUPLACER Sample Questions for Students.
- The Momentrix Academy ACCUPLACER test prep page provides links to study materials and practice tests.
- College Board's official Free ACCUPLACER study app.
- Free Practice Tests for ACCUPLACER from Union Test Prep.
- Use this Free Reading Speed Test to assess your reading speed and comprehension.
- ACE Practice Tests for Reading from CENGAGE Learning.
- The Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL) concentrates on mechanics, grammar and punctuation.