Placement test scores are required for all new incoming and transfer students for placement into reading, English and math classes. Students who have ACT scores on file in the Admission's office are not required to take the College's placement test. The Compass placement test is free to students who complete their testing at a GCC campus.
The COMPASS placement test is an untimed computerized test, that helps you and your academic advisor select classes and plan an appropriate course of study. The test is not used to determine admission to the college.
- Photo ID is required for testing
- No appointment is necessary
- COMPASS testing is available at all Campus Centers
- Allow approximately 2 hours for completion of the placement test
- A sample COMPASS test is available
- There is no charge for the test
Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request for persons with disabilities. Please notify Margaret Heater, Assistant Dean of Student Development at (585) 343-0055 extension 6475.
Students outside of Western New York
For remote placement testing, students will be given either a COMPASS placement test or an ACCUPLACER placement test.
Getting ready for COMPASS and ACCUPLACER tests
The following websites will provide you with lessons in the above subjects to help you brush up on your skills and knowledge:
- Learn how to prepare for the COMPASS Placement Test
- Information about the ACCUPLACER test and sample test questions
- Mometrix Academy ACCUPLACER test prep page
- The Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL) concentrates on mechanics, grammar and punctuation.