Genesee Community College


Quick Links

Disability Services

GCC does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual preference, veteran status, or disability in its educational programs, activities, admissions, and employment.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 prohibits discrimination on the basis of a disability and mandates that equal access and reasonable accommodations be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities.

Under the ADA any person with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of his/her major life functions is defined as disabled. Students with disabilities may not be segregated and are fully included in the institution's existing programs and activities.

GCC provides assistance to students with special needs, assists faculty and staff members who interact with these individuals and work closely with community agencies. It is the student's responsibility to identify his/her need for services and provide the appropriate documents.

The information the student provides will be confidential. With the student's permission, only specific recommendations will be released to faculty. Please note that the college does not provide personal aids or attendants.

Differences Between High School and College


Services and reasonable accommodations are granted to students who complete the Service Intake Form and submit complete written documentation of the disability from an appropriate and qualified source. 

In order for the documentation of the disability to be accepted by the College, the following general requirements must be observed:

  • Documentation must be printed on professional letterhead
  • The credentials and signature of the evaluator, medical professional, etc. must be stated
  • Documentation must include the minimum of a diagnosis and summary of current impact on the individual
  • Include any tests administered, with scores (if appropriate), and recommendations of areas where accommodations might be needed
  • A school plan such as a current individualized educational (IEP) plan or a 504 is insufficient documentation, but can be included as part of a more comprehensive battery and for accommodating initial placement tests
  • The documentation must be current, preferably within the last three years
    • The age of acceptance documentation is dependent upon the disabling condition, the current status of the student, and the student's specific request for accommodation

GCC's evaluation of the appropriateness of the documentation provided to support the accommodation requested will be based on a case by case determination of the essential components/technical standards of the program, service and activity.

For students with a learning disability, appropriate documentation may include:

  • Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-R) or Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children(WISC-R) within three years include sub-test scores
  • Current achievement test result
  • Current psychological report within three years
  • Resource room reports if available
  • Current/most recent Triennial report

For students with other health impairments, physical or psychological disabilities, appropriate documentation may include:

  • A doctor's report describing the disability and how this condition will affect the student's academic performance
  • Diagnosis, prognosis, and medications
  • DSM IV-R Diagnosis (Axis I, II, III)
  • VESID report (Vocational Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities)
  • Current psychological assessment or discharge summary

Requests for Services

Requests can be made anytime during the year, however, it is strongly recommended that students call to make an appointment with CAP personnel before the first day of classes at (585) 343-0055, ext. 6351.

Students will be required to bring the appropriate documentation and the completed Services Intake Form to the meeting. The information will be reviewed and reasonable accommodations will be recommended. 

Students accommodated for audiobooks need to complete the AudioBook Order Form / Contract

Continuation of Services

At the beginning of each semester (Once written documentation is on file and the accommodations/services are agreed upon), students can pick up their Accommodation Notices in CAP.

To add additional services, the student must arrange a meeting with a CAP staff member to discuss other accommodations. The College's Assessment Team will determine if the request warrants additional services.