The Teaching Assistant degree program is appropriate for both current and prospective teacher aides and assistants. These paraprofessionals perform a variety of functions within schools such as:
- Working with an individual student
- Working with a small group of students
- Working in a classroom or resource room
- Working with students in a technology room or computer lab
You will be provided with courses that are directly relevant to the responsibilities normally assigned to Teaching Assistants working in prekindergarten through high school.
Did you know that a majority of the Teaching Assistant program can be completed online?
- Teaching Assistant AAS (50% or more can be completed online)
- Teaching Assistant CERT (100% can be completed online)
Visit our Office of Online Learning for more information!
You will receive a solid foundation in both the Liberal Arts and Sciences as well as the educational functions of Teaching Assistants. Our program has three areas of concentration:
- Developmental Disabilities
- Learning Strategies and Technologies
You will also complete a field assignment in the community.
By completing the first 18 credit hours at GCC, you will meet the necessary college requirements for two state certificates:
- The New York State Level II or III Teaching Assistant certificate
- The New York State Pre-Professional Teaching certificate
To earn the Pre-Professional certificate, you must enroll in a program registered as leading to teaching certification, such as our Teacher Education Transfer program. In addition, completing the first 30 credit hours will qualify you to receive the GCC Teaching Assistant Certificate.
Students may also choose to participate in a wide array of professional development and service learning opportunities designed to enhance their professional goals and college experience through GCC's Education Club.
After getting your GCC degree, some occupations you may consider are:
Please contact our Career Center for more information.
GCC has many transfer agreements with 4-year institutions like:
- Bryant & Stratton
- Daemen College
- Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- Empire State College/SUNY
- Excelsior College
- Hartwick College
- Houghton College
- Keuka College
- Medaille College
- Roberts Wesleyan College
- SUNY College at Brockport
- SUNY College at Geneseo
- SUNY College at Oswego
- Utica College
- Wells College
Please contact our Transfer Center for more information.