Admission to the Veterinary Technology Degree program requires that you complete the following steps:
- Attend an information session about the Veterinary Technology program.
At the information session, we will discuss veterinary technology as a career choice, the prerequisites needed for entrance into the program as well as the courses you will take once you are in the program, financial aspects, and licensing procedures upon graduation. The dates and times of the information sessions will be available on the Vet Tech webpage or by calling the Vet Tech office at 585-343-0055 extension 6185. Reservations are preferred. You may bring an unofficial transcript of the courses you have taken already and the Program Director and a member of the Admissions team will be able to go over them with you to see exactly what courses you will need to take for admission into the Vet Tech program.
- Meet Vet Tech program pre-requisites:
Minimum qualifications to be considered for the Vet Tech program include:
- Proficiency in Math, English, and Reading. You may take either the ACT test or the COMPASS test which is offered here at GCC to demonstrate proficiency in these areas. If you do not, you will be placed in transitional classes and may apply to the Vet Tech program when these requirements have been met.
- College chemistry, CHE100 or higher, is required with a grade of C or higher.
- Biology requirement includes one of the following: High School Biology Regents exam with a grade of 75 or higher OR AP Biology with a grade of 3 or higher OR college biology course such as BIO104 (cell biology) with a grade of C or higher. The Biology courses need to have been completed within 5 years prior to admission to the Vet Tech program.
- Complete a GCC application form.
If you are not currently a GCC student, you will need to complete an application to GCC online. Indicate Veterinary Technology as a major. If you are currently a student at GCC, you will need to go to the Admissions office and fill out an internal application. Applications must be received by January 15 for the following fall semester.
- Have your high school and college transcripts sent to GCC.
Your application is incomplete until your transcripts arrive. You cannot be considered for admission until they do arrive. Students may check on the status of their applications by calling the Admissions Department at 585-343-0055 ext.6215.
- Complete 10 hours of volunteer work experience.
All applicants must complete 10 hours of volunteer work with animals at a veterinary practice, an animal shelter, a zoo, a kennel, a groomer, or other animal-related work environment. Your supervisor must fill out a Work Experience Recommendation Form. Please note that this does not need to be done prior to submitting your application to the Vet Tech program, but does need to be completed before new student orientation in the fall.
- Wait patiently.
The Vet Tech Director will review the applications of all individuals who have met the requirements for admission. The program only accepts 24 students per year. Meeting the prerequisites guarantees that your application will be reviewed, but does not guarantee admission into the program. The Director will make the final decision concerning entrance into the program.
- Welcome to the Vet Tech program!
If you are accepted into the program, you will receive an official letter of acceptance from the Admissions office. Accepted applicants must attend an orientation session with the Director of the Vet Tech program. Accepted applicants will be notified of dates and times of these sessions. Failure to attend an orientation session will result in forfeiture of your seat in the Vet Tech Program.
Please refer to our complete Veterinary Technology Program - Admissions Procedures for more information.