Admission to the Veterinary Technology Degree program requires that you complete the following steps:
- Apply to GCC
You will need to complete an application to GCC and indicate Veterinary Technology as a major. If you apply online, please be sure to sign the signature page and forward it to the Admissions office. You must request official transcripts from your high school and any colleges that you may have attended.
If you are currently a student at GCC and would like to apply to the Vet Tech program, you will need to go to the Admissions office and fill out an internal application.
Applications must be received by January 15 for the following fall semester.
- Attend an information session
At the information session, we will discuss veterinary technology as a career choice, the prerequisites needed for entrance into the program as well as the courses you will take once you are in the program, financial aspects, and licensing procedures upon graduation.
You may bring an unofficial transcript of the courses you have taken already and the Program Director and a member of the Admissions team will be able to go over them with you to see exactly what courses you will need to take for admission into the Vet Tech program. The dates and times of the information sessions will be available by calling the Vet Tech office at 585-343-0055 extension 6185.
- Meet Vet Tech program pre-requisites
Minimum qualifications to be considered for the Vet Tech program include:
- Proficiency in Math, English, and Reading. You may take either the ACT test or the COMPASS test which is offered here at GCC to demonstrate proficiency in these areas. If you do not, you will be placed in developmental classes and may apply to the Vet Tech program when these requirements have been met.
- Biology requirement includes one of the following: High School Biology Regents exam with a grade of 75 or higher OR AP Biology with a grade of 3 or higher OR BIO104 with a grade of C or higher. The Biology courses need to be completed within 5 years of admission to the Vet Tech program.
- College chemistry, CHE100 or higher, is required with a grade of C or higher.
- Complete 10 hours of volunteer work experience
All applicants must complete 10 hours of volunteer work with animals at a veterinary practice, an animal shelter, a zoo, a kennel, a groomer, or other animal-related work environment. Your supervisor must fill out a Work Experience Recommendation Form. Please note that this does not need to be done prior to submitting your application to the Vet Tech program but does need to be completed before starting classes in the fall.
- Wait patiently
The Vet Tech Director will review the applications of all individuals who have met the requirements for admission. The program only accepts 24 students per year and meeting the prerequisites does not guarantee admission into the program but only that your application will be reviewed. The Director will make the final decision concerning entrance into the program.
- Welcome to the Vet Tech program!
If you are accepted into the program, you will receive an official letter of acceptance from the Admissions office. Accepted applicants must attend an orientation session with the Director of the Vet Tech program. Accepted applicants will be notified of dates and times of these sessions. Failure to attend an orientation session will result in forfeiture of the position in the Vet Tech Program.