Rural Police Training Academy
- Established in 1985 as a training source for local rural Police Departments in the GLOW region, Genesee, Livingston, Orleans and Wyoming Counties at the suggestion of area Police Chiefs and Sheriffs.
- Housed at Genesee Community College since its inception, the RPTA has offered nearly 25 Basic Courses for Police and graduated over 500 Police Recruits.
- Since 1987, the RPTA's Director has been Douglas C. Brooks.
- The RPTA offers a yearly Basic Course for Police and Pre-Employments which lasts from early April to the following early March, with classes on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6:30pm-10:30pm) and Saturdays from 8am-5pm. There are also occasional Wednesday evening classes.
- In addition, the RPTA offers various Police In-Service Courses throughout the year many of which are in cooperation with the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services.
Two Ways to Enroll: Sworn or Pre-Employment
- Hired prior to enrollment in the RPTA, registered as a Police Officer with DCJS in Albany
- Suggested ages 21-35, but check with your County Civil Service Office for details
- Full or Part Time Officers accepted, some Departments accept Part Time Officers who are over 35 years of age
- Many Officers start as Part Time in a smaller Department and then work into Full time status either there or with another larger Department.
- Must be at least 19 to enroll, no maximum age limit
- No Felony Convictions
- If you are looking to work in Law Enforcement, no Criminal Convictions
- Background Investigation required
- Physically able to participate in all Fitness and Defensive Tactics Training
College Credit Option
Recruits may choose to participate in the RPTA College Credit Option. Sworn recruits may receive up to 22 college credits primarily in Criminal Justice topics. Pre-Employment recruits may receive up to 16 college credits. No additional fees are required. Enrollment must be completed with the academy application.
Recruits selecting the College Credit Option may, if applicable, apply for TAP, PELL, or Student Loans. Please NOTE: Full tuition payment must be made prior to the start of the academy. Deferments for anticipated State, Federal or loan funds are not permitted.
The RPTA Basic Course for Police is a registered program providing veterans or entitled dependents, an opportunity to receive educational benefits. Application for benefits must be made to the College's Financial Aid Office when applying to the academy. Please NOTE: Tuition deferments for anticipated Veterans Benefits are not permitted.
Tuition for the 2013 academy is $3,650. A $350, non-refundable fee must accompany your academy application. The balance, $3,300 is payable in full prior to the start of the first class session.
All recruits are responsible for uniforms and certain leather items at an approximate cost of $500.00.
Sworn recruits in addition are responsible for leather items, firearm and ammunition at an approximate cost of $1,000.00.
Common Questions / FAQs
- I'm interested in the RPTA and the Academy, what do I do first?
You first have to determine if you are coming as a Sworn Officer or Pre-Employment. It's best to be Sworn, but there are many opportunities with the Pre Program.
- How long does the Pre-Employment Certification last?
You have up to two years from graduation to secure a job as a Sworn Officer.
- How is the Pre-Employment and Sworn different?
Both Sworn and Pre Recruits attend classes together, dress the same and participate in all aspects of the academy as a group EXCEPT, the Pre's do NOT take part in Firearms Training, Counter Terrorism, Hard Baton and Field Training.
- How do I get the rest of the training once I am hired from Pre to Sworn?
As a Pre Graduate, once you are hired in the two year period, you then return to the nearest Academy and take the four remaining Courses listed in Question #3.
- Are there Physical Fitness standards I have to meet?
Yes, physical agility testing will be scheduled prior to the start of the academy. The standard you will need to meet are provided in the application packet.
- What do I need as far as Uniforms/Equipment?
You will be given a Supply List once you are accepted so that you can purchase the proper uniform and equipment. All recruits wear Gray Fatigues and the Academy operates in a para-military style.
- Are all classes held at GCC?
Most all classroom activities are held at the Main Campus at GCC Batavia, and others at various locations such as Letchworth Central School, Arcade GCC Campus, Firearms Range in Leicester NY and other locations in Geneseo and Avon as needed.
- What if I have other questions?
Please feel free to email the RPTA at email@example.com and we'll do our best to answer your questions. For questions concerning the College Application, College Credit Option, Financial Aid or Veterans Benefits contact: Ray Chaya 585-343-0055 x 6269 or firstname.lastname@example.org For all other questions regarding the Police Training and eligibility requirements contact: Doug Brooks 585-343-0163 or email@example.com.
Please mail or return all forms to:
Genesee Community College
ATTN: The BEST Center, Ray Chaya
One College Rd.
Batavia, NY 14020