Computer Information Systems
As a Computer Programmer, you will write code to create software programs, and turn the program designs created by software developers and engineers into instructions that a computer can follow. You must also test programs to ensure that they produce the expected results.
Computer programmers are responsible for:
- Writing programs in a variety of computer languages, such as C++ and Java
- Updating and expanding existing programs
- Debugging programs
- Building and using Computer-Assisted Software Engineering (CASE) tools to automate the writing of some code
Did you know that a majority of the Computer Information Systems program can be completed online?
- Computer Information Systems AS (50% or more can be completed online)
Visit our Office of Online Learning for more information!
GCC's Computer Information Systems curriculum will provide you with the first two years of a baccalaureate Computer Information Systems degree. GCC's expanded microcomputer and mainframe facilities, classrooms, and laboratories will give you the extensive experience necessary for further study at the baccalaureate level.
Possible transfer options include:
- Computer information systems
- Management information systems
- Database administration
- Information technology
- Department of information science and technology
After getting your GCC degree, some occupations you may consider are:
- Business Intelligence Analysts
- Computer and Information Research Scientists
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Data Warehousing Specialists
- Database Architects
- Document Management Specialists
- Geographic Information Systems Technicians
- Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists
- Search Marketing Strategists
- Software Developers, Systems Software
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
- Web Administrators
Please contact our Career Center for more information.
GCC has many transfer agreements with 4-year institutions like:
- St. John Fisher College
- SUNY College at Brockport
- SUNY College at Buffalo
Please contact our Transfer Center for more information.