Whether your interest is traveling rock concerts or Metropolitan Opera, community theatre or Broadway musicals, GCC’s exceptional Technical Theatre AAS degree offers you the opportunity to learn, train, and achieve the specialized technical and artistic skills required to execute contemporary theatrical productions. You will learn from qualified instructors who have worked as professional theatre designers and technicians. This intensive two-year program combines theory with hands-on application, including courses in computer-aided design and technology.
Check out a recent 3D printing of a theatre prop, designed and constructed right here at GCC!
At GCC, most of the instruction is practical, hands-on experience that allows you to jump right in to production from day one. This type of applied instruction prepares you for a career in the exciting world of theatre, as a stagehand, electrician, designer or sound technician. You can choose to further your education by obtaining a baccalaureate degree in theatre design or technology at a four-year college or university upon graduation.
While participating in GCC's Technical Theatre program, you will have the advantage of working closely with many regional and community productions, as well as having a world-class theme park nearby that offers substantial production opportunities.
A Closer Look
Theatre Technology in the News
- GCC Set Design Earns TANYS Honor - The Daily News
- Monday Q&A: Ed Hallborg - The Daily News (Video)
- GCC’s Technical Director Works Behind the Scenes - The Daily News
- 'In The Blood,' On the Stage - The Daily News (Video)
- GCC, Area Groups Ready for TANYS Spotlight - The Daily News
There is a high demand for qualified, skilled, and talented technical theatre professionals in communities large and small across the country. Graduates are ready to work in professional and community theatre facilities, television, special events management, musical and opera companies, major touring productions and concerts, and in the travel/cruise entertainment industries.
After getting your GCC degree, some occupations you may consider are:
- Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Entertainers and Performers, Sports and Related Workers, All Other
- Fashion Designers
- Music Directors
- Musicians, Instrumental
- Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
- Program Directors
- Set and Exhibit Designers
- Talent Directors
- Technical Directors/Managers
Please contact our Career Center for more information.
GCC has many transfer agreements with 4-year institutions like:
- Ithaca College
- SUNY Buffalo
- SUNY College at Brockport
Please contact our Transfer Center for more information.