Genesee Course Catalog
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Physical Education Courses:
|PED132 - Beginning Karate|
Catalog Description: Focuses on achieving the physical and mental conditioning and training required to execute a variety of basic martial arts techniques and forms or kata and engages in effective sparring and self-defense. Acquaints students with the historical and philosophical and spiritual aspects of the martial arts. Designed for students with little or no background in the martial arts. One and one-half class hours.
Lecture: 1.5 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course as documented through writing, objective testing, case studies, laboratory practice, and/or classroom discussion, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the historical facts about Isshin Ryu Karate.
2. Identify a minimum of one philosophical and one spiritual aspect of karate training.
3. Demonstrate knowledge through class discussion of at least three elements of a system of life-long exercise and physical fitness that can be achieved through the martial arts.
4. Demonstrate and lead 5 upper body and 5 lower body techniques.
5.*Demonstrate a minimum of 5 advanced self-defense techniques with 80% proficiency.
6. Perform 1/2 of the seisan kata.
7. Analyze the benefits of daily fitness activity specific to the sport of karate through the results of a pre and post test.
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
I. History and development of the martial arts
II. Basic punching, blocking and kicking; stances
III. Movement and power; Form I
IV. One-step sparring
V. Form II; free-sparring
VII. Review; preparation for rank exam
VIII. Rank examination
Effective Term: Spring 2012