Genesee Course Catalog
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Human Services Courses:
|HUS201 - Field Experience in Human Service 2|
Catalog Description: Continuing field placement in a human services agency with objectives developed in conjunction with respective agency, instructor and student through a placement contract. Focuses on empowerment, professionalism, ethics, diversity, helping strategies and techniques, communication skills refinement and assessment. Case analyses, papers, critiques of video-taped communication skills, and class discussion exercises demonstrate knowledge of course content and helping skills. Prerequisite: HUS101 and HUS110 or ASL110.
Lab: 9.5 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
1. Write the 4 case plan components (background information, behavioral description, behavioral objective, helper/teacher method) according to professional standards.
2. Write 2 internship goals and 2 objectives for each of those goals.
3. Complete a videotaped communications skills demonstration.
4. Give 5 potential referral sources for a case study in writing and small group discussion.
5. Discuss in writing and small group analysis 3 options for at least 2 ethical dilemmas.
6. Review videotapes of at least 5 student demonstrations of communication skills and complete the skills analysis chart for each.
7. Analyze a professional journal in the human services field by covering in writing the following components: introduction, 2 point summaries, personal opinion of at least 1 point, application of the point summaries to the student's field of interest.
8. *Complete an analysis of one's communication skills by responding in writing to the following topics: case plan, role-play documentation, helper critique of skills used, helper learning assessment including philosophy of helping/teaching and one's communication styles, and 2 new communication skills.
9. Analyze the texts by discussing at least one point from each chapter and the application of it to the student's field of interest.
10. Assess at least 5 text points by responding to questions in class using at least 5 of the steps covered in class.
11. Analyze the internship experience by completing the following components in writing: documentation of the 4 objectives met, strength and area to work on as demonstrated by intern in field placement, overall learning in human services program, weekly intern journal assessment of growth and stress management ideas, summary of 4 class group projects.
12. Discuss in writing at least 5 methods for addressing cultural diversity in human services work.
*This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the College's Comprehensive Plan. All faculty teaching the course must collect the required data (see Assessing Student learning Outcomes form) and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Assessment and Special Projects.
1. Intern goals and objectives
2. Case Plan Writing
3. Communication skills videotaping and analysis
5. Ethical dilemmas
6. Professional journal analysis
7. Analyses of texts
9. Internship evaluation
Effective Term: Fall 2010