Genesee Course Catalog
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Human Services Courses:
|HUS110 - Field Experience in Human Service 1|
Catalog Description: Introductory field placement in a human services agency under the supervision of agency personnel and instructor. Develops objectives for the internship in conjunction with the respective agency, instructor and student through a field placement contract. Develops helping communication skills, case plan writing skills and professional behavior through a weekly seminar on-campus. Case writing, video critiques and communication skill activities demonstrate knowledge of course content. Eight off- campus laboratory hours, and one and one-half on-campus class hours. Prerequisite: HUS101.
Lab: 9.5 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
1. Identify in writing at least 3 professional behaviors in field placement and future employment.
2. *Design 2 goals and 4 measurable objectives for learning in one's internship.
3. Write 3 case plans identifying for each: relevant background information, 3 objective behavioral descriptions, 1 measurable objective, 2 positive, empowering helper/ teacher methods.
4. After viewing a demonstration of communication skills (videotape or role-play in class), indicate in writing at least 1 positive communication skill and 1 alternative communication skill.
5. From the role-play of communication skills within a small in-class group, write 3
positive and 3 alternative communication skills.
6. After a role-play demonstrating one's own communication skills, identify at least
1 positive and 1 alternative communication skill.
7. After a role-play of one's own communication skills, document at least 5 types of
skills used on a chart outlining the various communication skills.
8. Discuss at least 2 ways one could use effective communication skills in the
student's particular career population/client area.
9. For each of the 4 cases plan components, write the equivalent documentation
used in the student's internship.
10. Identify in a small group project, at least one behavior management technique
that could be used with an individual.
11. Identify in a small group project and an individual assignment at least 2
empowerment techniques that could be used with an individual.
12. Write 1 lesson/ activity plan that identifies at least 3 components covered in
13. Write 1 internship advertisement that covers at least 3 factors identified in class
for effective ad writing.
14. Document in writing the completion of goals and measurable objectives
identified in Assignment 1.
15. Using a checklist of internship work skills, evaluate one's performance as an intern in at least 10 categories.
*This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the College's Comprehensive Assessment Plan. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data (see Assessing Student Learning Outcomes form) and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Assessment and Special Projects.
1. Professional behaviors
2. Internship goal and objective writing
3. Case plan writing
4. Communication skills
5. Behavior management techniques
7. Lesson/ activity plan writing
8. Advertisement design
9. Internship evaluation
Effective Term: Spring 2009