Genesee Course Catalog
Official Course Information
Please select a Course Section from the List below or use Search for a class by Title.
Computer Sys & Network Technology Courses:
|CSN208 - Overview:Comp/Network Security|
Catalog Description: Provides a solid foundation of the core concepts and terminology used in the field. Includes topics such as authentication, identifying and describing risks, and intrusion detection. Fall only. Prerequisite: CSN 201 or CSN 205 or permission of the instructor.
Lecture: 4 hrs.
Course Student Learning Outcomes (CSLOs):
Upon successful completion of this course as documented through writing, objective testing, case studies, laboratory practice, and/or classroom discussion, the student will be able to:
1. Define information security and explain why it is important *
2. Identify the types of attackers, vulnerabilities, attacks and defenses
3. Define virtualization and explain how attackers are targeting virtual systems
4. Explain how to harden operating systems
5. Describe various software security applications and vulnerability scanning tools
6. List the different types of network security devices and explain how they can be used
7. Define the vulnerabilities of open system authentication, WEP device authentication
8. Describe IEEE 802.11, WPA and WPA2*
9. Explain the different types of physical access control
10. Define and explain authentication, authentication servers and protocols
11. Define risk and risk management and penetration testing
12. Describe auditing, monitoring and how usage audits can protect security
* This course objective has been identified as a student learning outcome that must be formally assessed as part of the Comprehensive Assessment Plan of the college. All faculty teaching this course must collect the required data and submit the required analysis and documentation at the conclusion of the semester to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
Introduction to Security
System Threats and Risks
Network Vulnerabilities and Attacks
Wireless Network Security
Access Control Fundamentals
Performing Vulnerability Assessments
Conducting Security Audits
Effective Term: Fall 2011