Who We Are. What We Do.
The Genesee Community College Foundation is a charitable organization that exists to promote philanthropy and volunteer support on behalf of Genesee Community College. Since its founding in 1986, the Foundation has spearheaded many initiatives, including the development of new student scholarship programs, a capital fund raising campaign culminating in the construction of the Conable Technology Building, the Wolcott J. Humphrey III Student Union and currently the new and enhanced student housing at College Village.
At the turn of the new century, the Foundation's Board of Directors adopted a simple - but visionary - mission statement:
The Genesee Community College Foundation, through its leadership initiatives, collaborates with Genesee Community College in its efforts to promote academic excellence, accessibility to higher education, and economic vitality in the GLOW region.
The Genesee Community College Foundation has five goals: Excellence, Access, Vitality, Involvement, and Capital:
- Excellence. Recognize and encourage academic excellence at Genesee Community College, and provide financial support to academically talented students.
- Access. Help provide a Genesee Community College education to all qualified students living in Genesee, Livingston, Orleans, and Wyoming counties, regardless of their ability to afford a college education.
- Vitality. Promote the economic vitality and growth of industry in the region.
- Involvement. Provide avenues for community involvement in the College.
- Capital. Provide capital resources that foster superior education and service to students.
Genesee Community College Foundation People
The combined skills, interests, and generosity of hundreds of people, from all walks of life, help the Foundation achieve its goals. These people includee:
- Board of Directors: Thirty highly committed business and community leaders who govern the Foundation and provide leadership for Foundation initiatives. Robert L. Boyce, Broker, Tompkins Insurance Agency, currently serves as President of the Board of Directors.
- Volunteers: This year, more than 300 citizens are involved in Foundation activities as campaign volunteers or members of committees. Richard B. Henry, Senior Vice President, Clark Patterson Lee, leads many of these volunteers as Chair of the Foundation's annual fund raising campaign.
- Staff: A highly dedicated professional staff manages Foundation activities on a day-to-day basis and provides support to the Board of Directors and Foundation volunteers. Richard G. Ensman, Jr., Director of Development and External Affairs of Genesee Community College, serves as Executive Director of the Genesee Community College Foundation.
- You: Hundreds of generous individuals and business organizations provide financial support to the Foundation each year. These funds help the Foundation meet its goals and, in turn, help Genesee Community College maintain - and enhance - its reputation as one of the nation's best community colleges.
Who We Serve
Service to others is implicit in the Foundation's mission and goals. We serve three constituencies: Genesee Community College, the College's students, and our many supporters:
- We serve Genesee Community College by raising funds in support of critical College needs and opportunities, and channeling those funds to the College in the form of grants. This financial support helps enrich and transform the College each year.
- We serve the College's students by providing scholarships and other financial assistance to students who exhibit academic talent or critical unmet financial needs, or who show promise in careers critical to the region's economic well-being.
- We serve our many supporters by providing expert guidance in charitable gift planning, and by offering opportunities for donors to establish their own named funds in support of cherished programs or causes.
What We Do
To fulfill our mission statement and meet our goals, we perform three activities: receiving, managing, and disbursing funds:
- We receive funds through our volunteer-driven annual fund raising campaign, special fund raising events, and through thoughtfully planned bequests and deferred gifts. Every gift we receive is acknowledged and carefully accounted for, and we provide receipts for federal and state income tax purposes.
- We manage funds through a conservative cash management and investment program. Equally important, we provide careful stewardship of funds and other assets entrusted to us through annual audited financial reports and communication with donors.
- We disburse funds through a thoughtful planning process involving leaders of the Foundation and the College, and through meticulous oversight of all Foundation grants.
The Genesee Community College Foundation is organized to receive, invest, manage, and disburse your gift in the most effective manner possible.